Many people buy New Balance footwear because of the brand’s reputation for producing stylish and functional shoes. Despite its incredible quality, the question of how best to clean a set of New Balance 990s remains.
Like any other sneaker, New Balances can quickly become dirty. They are reliable regardless of the terrain, whether you’re hiking a rocky route, walking a muddy street, or even stepping through a deep puddle. As many people’s go-to pair of sneakers, New Balances take a hammering from daily wear and tear.
Properly caring for your New Balance footwear, however, will increase its lifespan and have you prepared for any adventure. Thankfully, they can be easily cleaned. Let’s take a closer look at how to clean New Balance 990s.
Preparing Your New Balance 990s for Cleaning
When you clean your New Balance sneakers, you can use a gentle bristle brush, such as an old toothbrush, to wipe the canvas and synthetic parts carefully without causing any damage.
Using mild laundry or dishwashing detergent is recommended. The result will always be preferable to harsh chemicals, and the New Balances will last longer.
When cleaning your New Balance 990s, always perform a spot test on an inconspicuous area first to ensure the product is safe for use on the upper material.
It’s important to regularly give your New Balance footwear a thorough cleaning. If you don’t, your shoes may start to smell bad.
The Best Way To Clean Dirty New Balance 990s
Using a washing machine isn’t recommended when cleaning your New Balance shoes. These guidelines will help you thoroughly clean your New Balance 990s and make them look new. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Since you won’t be able to immerse the shoes in water and wash the dried dirt and dust out of the cracks on the soles and sides, you should remove as much of it as you can by hand. Knock your shoes together outside to loosen any dirt, then set them aside to air out. Wet and muddy footwear should be cleaned thoroughly with baby wipes or a dry paper towel, then left to dry. If the dirt on your shoes is dry and brittle, you can more easily brush it off.
- Take out the laces and bring the tongues forward so you can thoroughly clean them.
- Put a bit of water on your shoes and work the grime loose using the old toothbrush, beginning with the upper area and working your way to the sole.
- Then, combine a few drops of gentle detergent and a cup of water in a plastic container. Dip the toothbrush in soapy water. Remove as much filth and grime as possible by scrubbing the shoes in small, circular motions.
- Make sure you get every part of your New Balances clean by working from the top down. For the best results, you should rinse the brush frequently.
- After using the toothbrush to loosen the grime, follow up with a damp microfiber cloth to remove any remaining residue.
- When you’re done cleaning the shoes and removing the dirt, pat them dry using a towel and set them somewhere to air dry. Keep them out of the sun to prevent fading.
Proper Maintenance of Your New Balance Shoes
Your newly cleaned New Balance footwear won’t stay fresh and smell good for long, just like any other brand.
To avoid weeks of grime building up, find time to do a quick cleaning after each wear. Before taking off your shoes, brush them to remove any dust or dirt, and wipe them down if they get wet from the grass or mud.
Take good care of your shoes between wearings to keep them looking and feeling new for longer. Keep your sneakers in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight and high temperatures, which can dry out the material and cause it to crack or split.
To avoid damaging the heels of your shoes, always unlace them and take them off with your hands rather than kicking or toeing them off. Use activated charcoal sachets to neutralize any odors.
The Bottom Line
Although we do not advise washing your New Balance sneakers in the washing machine or with lots of water, we recommend brushing them using the gentle methods we discussed above. With any luck, you’ll get more use out of your New Balance 990s by following the tips we’ve shared in this article.
Shop Our Line of New Balance 990s