If you have flat feet or overpronate when you walk, it’s crucial to find supportive and stable walking shoes. The right footwear can help reduce pain, improve mobility, and prevent injuries. In this article, we’ll look at three of the top-rated walking shoes for flat feet and overpronation - the New Balance 1540v3, SAS Venture, and New Balance 928v3. We’ll also discuss flat feet and overpronation, and why finding proper shoes is so important.
What Are Flat Feet and Overpronation?
Flat feet, also called fallen arches, is a condition where the arches of the foot collapse and the entire sole touches the ground. This results in poor shock absorption and uneven weight distribution in the feet. People with flat feet tend to overpronate, meaning their feet roll excessively inward when walking.
Overpronation causes excessive strain and improper alignment in the ankles, knees, hips and back. It also increases the risk of injuries such as shin splints, bunions, plantar fasciitis and knee pain. Wearing shoes with arch support, stability and motion control are key for managing flat feet and overpronation.
The New Balance 1540v3 is consistently rated one of the best walking shoes for flat feet and overpronation issues. It’s a motion control shoe designed to correct severe overpronation with innovative stability technologies.
Key features include:
- Rollbar technology uses a dual-density midsole to guide the foot through proper movements and calmly transitions. This dynamically controls pronation from heel strike through toe-off.
- Extended medial post runs from the midsole to inside edge of shoe for maximum overpronation control. It prevents the foot from collapsing inward.
- ABSORB midsole cushioning remains resilient and supportive, even as compression sets in over time. Provides long-lasting comfort and stability.
- Dual-density collar foam offers plush padding around the ankles to prevent chafing and irritation.
The 1540v3 accommodates custom orthotics and comes in a wide 4E width. It’s an excellent choice for walkers with moderate to severe overpronation requiring a very stable shoe with maximum motion control.
For those with milder overpronation, the SAS Venture walking shoe provides a great balance of comfort, support and affordability.
Notable features include:
- Multi-density midsole delivers pronation control. The firmer inside edge prevents excessive inward rolling.
- Removable SAS Foot Signature contoured insoles include arch and metatarsal support. Custom orthotics can also be inserted.
- Shock absorbing polyurethane outsole includes a rocker bottom to propel the foot through the walking gait cycle.
- Premium leather uppers feature tri-density padding around the collar for a secure, customized fit.
- Available in wide sizes up to 4E to accommodate flat feet.
While not as robust in motion control as the 1540v3, the SAS Venture offers ample stability and cushioning for low-arched feet. It provides excellent value for mild overpronators on a budget.
The New Balance 928v3 is a top choice for those suffering from both overpronation and knee pain. It’s designed to guide feet through proper walking biomechanics while providing cushioned comfort.
Key benefits include:
- ROLLBAR dual-density posting stabilizes the rearfoot to reduce inward rolling motions.
- Plush ABZORB midsole absorbs shock to prevent knee and muscle fatigue.
- CUSH+ foam offers responsive cushioning and flexibility under the forefoot.
- Walking Strike Path outsole stabilizer promotes smooth heel-to-toe transitions.
- Available in wider sizes and half-sizes to fit flat feet.
The 928v3 realigns foot motions while lessening impact forces through the knees. The result is a smoother, more natural gait along with pain and fatigue relief. It’s an excellent shoe for pronation-related knee issues.
Benefits of Proper Walking Shoes
- Walking shoes designed for flat feet and overpronation provide better support and stability in key areas:
- Arch Support - Contoured insoles support the arches to improve weight distribution. This alleviates pain and strain on the feet.
- Motion Control - Features like medial posts, guide rails and midfoot shanks prevent excessive inward rolling of the feet. This enhances gait efficiency.
- Cushioning - Shock-absorbing cushioning in the heels and forefeet provides comfort on impact. This reduces pain in the knees, hips and back.
- Stability - Firmer materials and structural elements improve rearfoot and midfoot stability to control pronation.
- Durability - Durable exterior materials like full-grain leather can withstand everyday wear and tear.
By correcting gait issues associated with flat feet, the right walking shoes can greatly improve comfort and mobility while lowering the risk of chronic pain and impact injuries.
Finding the Right Fit
When selecting walking shoes for flat feet and overpronation, fit and comfort are paramount. Be sure to get properly measured each time you buy replacements, as feet can change over time. Try shoes on at the end of the day when feet are swollen. Walk around the store to test out fit and feel. There should be no pinching, and your heel should not slip when walking. Break in new shoes slowly before extended wear. Check out our collection of shoes at Van Dyke & Bacon today! With the proper shoe choice and fit, you’ll be on your feet in comfort.