Van Dyke & Bacon Shoes was established in 1938 by Irving Van Dyke and Francis Bacon Sr. The first store was opened on North Charles Street in Baltimore in the heart of the city’s thriving shopping district. Irvin and Francis established a strong shoe business providing exceptional sit-and-fit service, comfortable footwear, and a sincere passion to find the perfect fit.
Through the years, as Baltimore City grew dramatically, population expanded into the suburbs. Representing the next generation, Francis Bacon Jr. joined the company in the early 1950’s. With the Van Dyke & Bacon name growing in recognition, customer demand for quality comfort shoes, and the high level of service, it was time to grow! In 1950 with the help of core like-minded employees, Van Dyke & Bacon expanded north to the Govans area at the city/county line. This second store was located directly across the street from the historic Senator Theatre and later moved to 5919 York Road in 1997.
In the 1980’s, Francis Bacon Jr’s sons, Martin and John Bacon entered the business. Martin’s financial background and John’s marketing skills were beneficial in carrying on the family business. Marty and John surrounded themselves with the type of people that shared their passion for both comfortable and fashionable footwear. Continuing the long-standing principles of service, quality, comfort, and fit, the business has expanded to St. John’s Plaza in Ellicott City (1989), the Shoppes at Nottingham Square in White Marsh (2007), and the York Marketplace in Cockeysville (2008).
Over time, Van Dyke & Bacon gained recognition and respect from its manufacturing suppliers. The company was invited by SAS (San Antonio Shoes) to launch specialty concept stores in the Baltimore area under the SAS name. The first store was opened in Timonium in 2000. SAS Annapolis (2004) was the second concept store venture which moved to The Village of Waugh Chapel in Gambrills in 2015.
In 2013, Van Dyke & Bacon continued its success with the concept stores and accepted a similar proposition from New Balance Shoes. The company was invited to represent New Balance in the Baltimore market. New Balance Baltimore opened in Timonium Square shopping center in 2013. With the energy, enthusiasm and vision of Erin Drew, fourth generation in the Bacon family, the store has achieved overwhelming success with a promise of expansion in the future.
As the Van Dyke & Bacon family of stores grows, the foundation on which the company was built remains strong. We remain fully committed to exceptional sit-and-fit service, quality comfortable footwear and a passion to find the perfect fit.